Charlie Waters of the Cape Breton Capers men’s soccer team and Justine Pelletier from the Laval Rouge et Or women’s rugby squad are the U SPORTS Male and Female Athletes of the Week for the period ending November 3, 2019.
Male Athlete of the Week: Charlie Waters, Cape Breton
A second-year striker from Blackpool, U.K., Waters was named AUS Championship MVP this past weekend as the Capers earned their fourth straight Atlantic conference title.
The AUS second team all-star scored the game-winning goal in Friday’s 2-0 semifinal win over the Saint Mary’s Huskies.
In Sunday’s championship final, he added an insurance goal for the Capers in overtime to secure their 2-0 win over the StFX X-Men and capture the AUS championship title.
- CW: Rashawn Browne, basketball, Manitoba
- OUA: Gideon Dresser, volleyball, Guelph
- RSEQ: Omar Kreim, soccer, Montreal
- AUS: Charlie Waters, soccer, Cape Breton (Winner)
Female Athlete of the Week: Justine Pelletier, Laval
Justine Pelletier and her Rouge et Or rugby team made history last week, winning the school’s first national title and becoming the first Francophone university to achieve the feat. The kinesiology student-athlete was selected as Tournament MVP of the U SPORTS Championship. Pelletier had a significant impact early on in the competition, being voted Player of the game in opening match against UBC.
- CW: Jaeli Ibbetson, basketball, UBC Okanagan
- OUA: Sophie de Goede, rugby Queen’s,
- RSEQ: Justine Pelletier, rugby, Laval (Winner)
- AUS: Alliyah Rowe, soccer, Cape Breton
- Player bios courtesy U SPORTS member conferences