Celebrating their 28th edition, the Lieutenant Governor Athletic Awards Presented by Makadiff SPORTS – formerly known as the BLG and Howard Mackie Awards – honour the U SPORTS Athletes of the Year and are championed once again by His Honour Doug Mitchell and Her Honour, the Honourable Lois Mitchell, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.
Leading up to the June 25 announcement, U SPORTS sits down with alumni of the prestigious event to find out the keys to their success both on and off the field, the importance of the awards in their student-athlete experience and why Canadian university athletics was the best choice for them.
In this week’s interview, 2013 nominee Britt Benn explains how the Guelph Gryphons rugby program prepared her to compete for Team Canada, inspiring the next generation, and rubbing shoulders with fellow Athlete of the Year finalists.
- National Champion – 2011
- National Medalist – 2011 (Gold), 2012 (Silver), 2008-10 (Bronze)
- Player of the Year – 2012
- All-Canadian – 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012
- Conference Champion – 2008-2012
- Rookie of the Year – 2008
- All-Star – 2008-12
Team Canada (2012-Present)
- FISU World University Championship – 2012
- World Cup – 2014
- Pan American Games – 2015 (Gold)
- Olympic Games – 2016 (Bronze)