- Name: Maddison Fritze
- School: University of Calgary
- Sport (years): Women’s Soccer, 5th year
- Program: Bachelor of Education
- Hometown: Edmonton Alberta
1. What are your thoughts on representing Team Canada at a major international event, and most specifically at the 2019 FISU Summer Universiade?
Since I was four years old, I have always played soccer. It was always my favourite sport to play and it has given me the most incredible experiences of my life. When I was in youth, a few of our current Team Canada players came to coach a soccer practice for the women’s teams. I met Christine Sinclair, Desiree Scott, Stephanie Labbé and others. They were incredible women who inspired me and my teammates to play soccer. They told us about how lucky they were to be on Team Canada and that we had to keep fighting for our own dreams. I would have never guessed that I would be representing Canada in the FISU University Games, and I’m beyond excited to be an ambassador for Canada in these games. I couldn’t be prouder and more excited to represent Canada!
2. Is this the first time you have been selected to represent Canada on the international stage or at the Universiade? Current track record (national and/or international)?
This is my first time being chosen to for the University Games. I’m very fortunate that this opportunity came along in my final year. It is the best way to finish off my University career.
3. What are you most looking forward to in Naples, Italy outside of the competition?
Italy is one of the most gorgeous countries in the world! I can’t wait to do some sightseeing in between our games and to see Italy in different way. I’m looking forward to sharing this experience with my teammates and my parents who will be coming to watch the games. I’m also excited for the delicious pizza!
4. What are your personal and/or team goals for this Universiade?
One of our team goals is to make it in the top 8, and obviously we would like to win a medal. The competition is going to be top class, and I know our team has an amazing shot at placing well. One of my personal goals is to enjoy playing soccer and to work hard to make a statement for Canada.
5. Do you have a nickname in your sport?
“Fritze” or the “Crimson Stallion”
6. What are you listening to right now / what is your pump-up music?
My favourite pump-up song is “Lose yourself by Eminem”
7. Current favorite TV show?
Game of Thrones
8. What message would you like to share with Team Canada followers / the U SPORTS community?
Thank you to everyone back home in Canada who are watching and supporting us through this journey!!!! #GOTEAMCANADA