Men’s Basketball

Championships Men’s Soccer

Men’s Soccer

Quarter-final 1: UBC eliminates UNB in extra time to advance to semifinals


Fans attending the opening match of the 2017 U SPORTS Respect Group Men’s Soccer Championship got their money’s worth

Game one saw the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds and the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds go to extra time at Hillside Stadium.

A goal with three minutes left in the second overtime period saw the Thunderbirds down the Varsity Reds 2-1.

Rylan Sangha scored the winner as he caught the ball with his right foot, turned and fired, beating a startled Varsity Reds keeper Evan Barker.

The teams were scoreless after the first half, one which was dominated by the Thunderbirds. UBC had a couple of chances to score on Barker.


Men_s_QF_1_(Body_1).jpg (466 KB)

Just over 10 minutes in, Patrick Metcalfe tested Barker from about 10 yards out.  In the 23rd minute, Chris Damian had a chance but just put it over the net.

The teams played a see saw match in the second half.

The Varsity Reds scored the first goal of the Championship in the 78th minute when Dan Walker escaped his check and broke down the right side and slid it past UBC keeper Chad Bush.

The Thunderbirds mounted an offensive attack and it paid off in the 83rd minute.  Kyle Sohi raced down the right side and crossed it to a wide open Ryan Arthur, who blasted it in a wide open left side to even the match at 1-1.


“We just keep making life difficult for ourselves,” said UBC head coach Mike Mosher. “Perhaps that’s what you get with a young team. Maybe life with a young team is that they don’t know any better and they keep coming back. We had a massive number of chances and could have put it away early.  But hey, sometimes you put your head down and you keep going. That’s what we did today. We found that late winner.”

“Difficult losing in a national quarterfinal and knowing your season is basically over,” stated UNB head coach Miles Pinsent. “Despite the fact we were playing our fourth game in seven days, I thought we were making some inroads late in the game. At the same time, you could see the tired legs. We had a number of guys who had to come off because of cramps and other injuries because of the grind we have had with the games and the travel. There was a challenge in front of us and I thought the boys rose to it, as the game went on. Hats off to the guys for that.”

Men_s_QF_1_(Body_2).jpg (357 KB)