U SPORTS sits down with each of its summer interns in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Farhan Kachalia
- School: Humber College
- Program: Bachelor of Commerce – Accounting
- Internship position: Finance
- Hometown: Markham, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Humber and your program?
I chose Humber because of a close friend’s recommendation. He was a third-year student at Humber, when I was looking at schools and trying to decide where to go. I asked him for advice on which school I should go to and he told me all about Humber and answered all my questions and concerns. After that, I knew Humber was where I wanted to go.
I was attracted to accounting because I’ve always been fascinated with the concept of money and everything about it. The skills and the knowledge you gain as an accountant is transferable to many different positions in a business. It felt like the perfect starting point for my career in the business/sports world.
2. Why were you interested in interning at U SPORTS?
I was interested in interning at U SPORTS because it seemed to be a great place to work. It has a very trusting and open environment which I deemed the most suitable for me to develop my skills and grow as an individual.
3. What are your key learnings from your experience at U SPORTS?
I learned a lot from U SPORTS. In fact, I learn something new every day. Whether it is about sports or the field of finance, there is always something new to learn. Some of my key learnings were the importance of being passionate about what you do, slowing down and organizing yourself when things get overwhelming, and never be afraid to ask questions.
4. Any memorable moments over the course of your internship?
My most memorable moment at U SPORTS was when the office threw me a mini surprise party for my birthday. It was really thoughtful, and I was not expecting it.
5. What is one piece of advice you can give to someone interested in joining U SPORTS?
Show off your passion for the field. If you can convey that passion, you’ll have no problem joining U SPORTS.
6. Why did you choose to pursue a career in sports and what is your dream job?
I chose to pursue a career in sports because I love the industry. It is filled with some of the most amazing and passionate people you will ever meet. Working with individuals like that is always an amazing experience.
My dream job would be working as a high ranking financial position in a company where everyone is passionate about the work they do.
7. If you could sit down with one person in the sports industry (athlete, coach, manager or professional), who would it be? Why? What would you talk about?
David Villa, he is my favourite athlete. If I had the chance, I would love to ask him questions about his life and get a better understanding of what made him the man he is today.
8. After joining U SPORTS and gaining a better understanding of what we do, how would you describe the organization and the culture at the national office?
I would describe the organization as a passionate place, where everyone loves what they do and are super hardworking. I would describe the culture as trusting. We are given a lot of freedom, and everyone is very understanding. This freedom and understanding allow us to work efficiently every day in a minimal stress environment.
9. What do you enjoy doing when you’re away from your internship and school?
I enjoy hanging out with friends, playing sports, and playing video games.
10. What is your most memorable sports moment?
My most memorable sports moment was coming home from school and going out to play soccer with my friends. It was always a lot of fun, and I will never forget those moments.