U SPORTS sits down with each of its interns this semester in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Justis Verrall
- School: Durham College
- Program: Sport Management
- Internship position: Sport Technical and National Championships
- Hometown: Scarborough, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Durham College and your program?
Sports has always played a large role in my life and has made a huge contribution to the person I am now. I was attracted to Sport Management because I knew that I wanted to have sport in my life forever and I love being in an organizational and hands on position, so in my eyes that program was perfect for me.
2. Why were you interested in interning at U SPORTS?
I was interested in an internship with U SPORTS, because I love the change that they are trying to make within Canada and the emphasis that they are putting on the importance of sport.
3. What are your key learnings from your experience at U SPORTS?
At U SPORTS, I have expanded my knowledge much more than expected, from learning rules and regulation to the key components of running a championship. No words can describe how much I learned here.
4. Any memorable moments over the course of your internship?
Working at U SPORTS, you will get to experience many memorable moments from inside jokes, to office birthdays and the greatest of all – seeing all your hard work pay off.
5. What is one piece of advice you can give to someone interested in joining U SPORTS?
One thing I can advise anyone is that you need to be present and ensure you are ready to work non-stop. Championships have so many little details that make them so great, you must make sure you improve and exceed expectations.
6. Why did you choose to pursue a career in sports and what is your dream job?
I chose to pursue a career in sports because it is what I love. There is nothing that makes me happier than sports - it has played a role in my life since I was young and I wanted to keep the impact on it. My dream job is just to be someone who helps create a large impact on the sporting community and help athletes’ dreams come true.
7. If you could sit down with one person in the sports industry (athlete, coach, manager or professional), who would it be? Why? What would you talk about?
I personally would like to sit down with Dean Smith who wrote the book A Carolina Way. This is because he is a coaching legend and made impacts not only on the court but off the court as well.
8. After joining U SPORTS and gaining a better understanding of what we do, how would you describe the organization and the culture at the national office?
The office is one of the most welcoming environments you will experience, everyone is always there to help each other and they just make you feel special with even the little things. I only see growth within this company for the future and I am excited to see what else U SPORTS can become.
9. What do you enjoy doing when you’re away from your internship and school?
When I am away from my internship or school, I usually work. I enjoy my job working at Champs Sports especially because it allows me to learn something new every day. If I am not working, I like to play some sports or just sit back and watch them.
10. What is your most memorable sports moment?
Even though many people may disagree with me, one of my recent memorable sports moments was when Serena Williams stood up for herself at the U.S. Open finals. I will always remember this moment because this raised awareness on females in sport and how their needs to be a fair playing field between each gender.
The objective of the U SPORTS Internship program is to provide students currently enrolled in collegiate / university programs with concrete experience of what it is like to work in the Canadian sport industry.
To apply, click here.