U SPORTS sits down with each of its interns this semester in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Daryl Waud
- School: Western University
- Program: Masters in Sport Management
- Internship position: Events
- Hometown: Hamilton, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Western and your program?
Western has a storied history of being the best student experience in Canada. As a varsity football player at Western during my undergrad, I had the opportunity to play for one of Canada’s premier football programs while studying at a renowned academic institution. That experience brought me back to complete my Masters.
2. Why were you interested in interning at U SPORTS?
I was interested in interning at U SPORTS because I was a former varsity athlete myself. It was a good opportunity for me to see what goes on behind the scenes for Canadian university student-athletes and hoped to contribute to the bettering of our sports programs.
3. What are your key learnings from your experience at U SPORTS?
Through my experience, I have diversified my interpersonal skills. Working alongside Sport Administartor Zach Weese at U SPORTS has allowed me to gain experience in several different departments within the organization. I have learned a lot about the administrative side of sport.
4. Any memorable moments over the course of your internship?
Taking part in the U SPORTS Football Strategy Sessionat the end of my internship was a great opportunity for me to learn about some of the challenges that face the sport and the organization. It was an awesome experience and a great opportunity to network with some outstanding industry leaders.
5. What is one piece of advice you can give to someone interested in joining U SPORTS?
My advice for an incoming intern would be, make sure you have a strong work ethic and learn to adapt on the fly. Working with a diverse group of staff members will be a rewarding opportunity in the long run.
6. Why did you choose to pursue a career in sports and what is your dream job?
Sports have always been a part of my life as an athlete, fan and now as a career. I enjoy taking on new challenges that push me to become a better athlete and person. I love being part of a team that accomplishes great feats and creating new memorable experiences together.
7. If you could sit down with one person in the sports industry (athlete, coach, manager or professional), who would it be? Why? What would you talk about?
I would enjoy the opportunity to talk with Michael Jordan to listen to his story of sustained excellence. I admire his athletic ability to compete in more than one professional sport. Also, I would love to learn more about his entrepreneurial endeavors creating his iconic Jordan brand.
8. After joining U SPORTS and gaining a better understanding of what we do, how would you describe the organization and the culture at the national office?
The staff members at U SPORTS come from a wide variety of backgrounds, each with different skill sets. There are some very hard working and intelligent people in the office.
9. What do you enjoy doing when you’re away from your internship and school?
Spending time with family is such an important part of my life. I love to spend time with my loved ones while watching/playing our favourite sports. Being active has been engrained into me.
10. What is your most memorable sports moment?
Winning the Grey Cup with the Toronto Argonauts in 2017. It was a life changing experience for my family and I and will never be forgotten!
The objective of the U SPORTS Internship program is to provide students currently enrolled in collegiate / university programs with concrete experience of what it is like to work in the Canadian sport industry.
To apply, click here.