Throughout the 2017-18 season, U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
Name: Laura Kaye
School: University of New Brunswick
Year of eligibility: Fifth
Program: Medicinal chemistry
Hometown: Hanwell, N.B.
1. What attracted you to UNB?
When I was growing up we would always go to the UNB games, and I would go to UNB camps in the summer so I always looked up to those girls. The idea of being that role model for other girls in my community really excited me. I also really liked the idea of playing in front of a home crowd, and we have a beautiful campus.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My favourite memory was playing in the Final 8 here in Fredericton in my third year. My greatest athletic achievement would be being a first team AUS all-star and getting receiving female athlete of the year for UNB last year.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
After finishing at UNB I hope to pursue a degree in pharmacy or a masters in chemistry of some kind.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
Rick Cotter – he was my high school coach and is the assistant coach here at UNB. He is constantly inspiring me with his love and passion for the game and his players.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
Steph Curry, he seems like a really cool guy and I would love to get some shooting tips!
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
Before all of our games, I like to go to the gym early and listen to music while I get shots up. Other than that I’m not very superstitious, but if I do something and then we have a great game, I have to keep doing it for the rest of the season.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Currently Rake It Up by Yo Gotti (feat. Nicki Minaj), but its constantly changing.
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
Humans of New York
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
Volleyball, but if I was going to try something new I would like to try triathlons, because of the challenge. I’ve never been an exceptional endurance athlete so I would like to challenge myself to become good at that.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
Early in high school I was still quite short and really skinny and our uniform shorts were way too big, so every time I did a layup they would fall down. I quickly started holding onto them when I took layups.