Throughout the 2017-18 season, U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Maya Day
- School: Wilfrid Laurier University
- Sport: Women's basketball
- Position: Guard
- Year of eligibility: First
- Program: Health Science
- Hometown: Kitchener, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Wilfrid Laurier University?
The small campus that gives you a community like feel, the fact that it is in my hometown and it had the program that I wanted. I also appreciate the supportive and dedicated athletic department staff. All of these things attracted me to Wilfrid Laurier.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
In my first year participating as a U SPORTS student-athlete, my favourite memory would be travelling to away games with my team and getting to play in numerous gyms and experience their different atmospheres. As a first-year student-athlete, my greatest achievement would be increasing my minutes and working my way into the regular lineup over the course of the season.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
After university, I hope to become a nurse. I also plan to use my platform of basketball to help give back to my community by expanding a program I started in high school called ‘No Limits.’
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My dad - he is there for every game; he is my biggest supporter but also the person who pushes me the most.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
UConn women’s basketball head Geno Auriemma. I would want to hear about his approach to the game of basketball and all the stories of the great women’s basketball players that he has coached.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
Before every game, I do the same ball handling and shooting routine.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Whatever my teammates happen to be playing…. I am not too picky! This year it was a LOT of rap… I think?
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
@coachpfalco…. he is a pretty funny guy!
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
Hockey. I like to play aggressive and in hockey, I could get as many penalty minutes as I want without worrying about fouling out. And I would love to be able to go bar down.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
In high school track and field, I was competing in the steeplechase and on the last water jump I caught my toe on the big wooden hurdle and tumbled into the water. I got a big reaction from the spectators and a lot of sorry looks from the other runners competing against me.