Throughout the 2017-18 season, U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Kristin Gallant
- School: Brock University
- Sport: Women’s basketball
- Position: Guard
- Year of eligibility: First
- Program: Psychology
- Hometown: Milton, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Brock University?
The athletic facility and huge student-athlete population at the school. The campus is small and a good size.
The spirit of the school.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
Being named to the OUA All-Rookie team and being asked to take part in the 2018 OUA Women’s basketball All-Star game.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
Hoping to end up in some sort of field of social work.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My high school coach, rep coach, and high school teacher: Cailin Miziolek.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
Canadian track and field athlete Andre De Grasse. He is so young and already so successful. I love to watch track, so I have always kept up with him.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
I have to play with my hair in braids and always need to chew gum during the game.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Any song that I can dance to (so pretty much any song).
8. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
I always wanted to be good at volleyball, it is such a fun sport to play.
9. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
A couple years ago when I forgot my basketball shoes to a road game, so I had to wear running shoes.