Men’s Cross Country
Celebrating their 28th edition, the Lieutenant Governor Athletic Awards Presented by Makadiff SPORTS – formerly known as the BLG and Howard Mackie Awards – honour the U SPORTS Athletes of the Year and are championed once again by His Honour Doug Mitchell and Her Honour, the Honourable Lois Mitchell, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.
Leading up to the June 25 announcement, U SPORTS sits down with alumni of the prestigious event to find out the keys to their success both on and off the field, the importance of the awards in their student-athlete experience and why Canadian university athletics was the best choice for them.
In this week’s interview, 2003 winner Ryan McKenzie shares with us the prestige of being a finalist for the awards, and how the life lessons gained from competing in U SPORTS shaped him into a proud member of the Canadian Armed Forces.
|Cross Country / Track and Field|
|Middle Distance Specialist|
- U SPORTS / OUA Champion – 2003
- U SPORTS Individual Medals – 4
- OUA Athlete of the Year / Individual Champion – 1999, 2001, 2003
Track and Field
- U SPORTS Champion - 2003, 2004
- U SPORTS Athlete of the Year – 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- George Gemer Award, U SPORTS Athlete of the Meet – 2001, 2002, 2004
- U SPORTS Individual Medals – 17 (10 gold)
- OUA Champion – 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
U SPORTS International
- FISU Summer World University Games – 1999, 2001
- FISU World University Cross Country Championship – 2000
- Military Police Captain, Canadian Armed Forces – 2011-Present