U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Michael Eagles
- School: St. Thomas University
- Position: Athletic Director
- Seniority: 11 years
- Previous job/position: Head coach, men’s hockey
- Hometown: Sussex, N.B.
1. How did you get to your current position, and what do you enjoy most about our job?
I became Athletic Director after my previous boss moved on to another university and I took over from her to be AD as well as the men’s hockey head coach. I did both roles for three years before giving up the coaching position.
2.Who has had the most influence on your career?
Jenn Myers - former boss and current athletic director at York University.
3. What is your greatest sporting moment or achievement?
Playing in the Stanley Cup Final for Washington against Detroit in 1998 and 15 years in the NHL.
4. How would you define a St. Thomas University student-athlete?
A STU student-athlete is a motivated individual who wishes to pursue excellence in the field of play and in life (classroom and career).
5. What does success look like for the St. Thomas University athletics program?
Graduating student-athletes that have enjoyed their experience as a student-athlete are ready start their careers and make a positive contribution to society.
6. What’s the biggest challenge you face in today’s sports world?
A strong sense of entitlement is creeping into society where people feel they are owed something as opposed to earning it.
7. Where would you like to see Canadian university sport in the next three to five years?
I would love to see more fans at our games and more recognition of the exceptional student-athletes that we have in our programming.
8. If you could sit down for dinner with one person in the sports industry (athlete, coach or manager), who would it be? Why? What would you talk about?
Bill Belichick. He is a winner and I would love to discuss his philosophies.
9. What would you say to a sports fan who’s never watched a U SPORTS game/tournament/competition?
Do yourself a favour and come to watch our tremendous student-athletes and competitions.
10. What do you enjoy doing when you’re away from work?
I enjoy triathlon/exercise, working outside on flowers/yard work and spending time with the wonderful people I have in my life.