Logan Flodell of the Acadia Axemen men’s hockey team and Tyra Meropoulis from the StFX X-Women women’s hockey squad are the U SPORTS Male and Female Athletes of the Week for the period ending December 1, 2019.
Male Athlete of the Week: Logan Flodell, Acadia
A second-year business student from Regina, Sask., Flodell helped lead the Axemen to two weekend wins, allowing Acadia to head into the holiday break in first place in the AUS standings with a 14-4-0 record.
Flodell made 40 saves and was named Subway Player of the Game as the Axemen took down the U SPORTS No. 1-ranked UNB Reds Friday in a 3-2 win.
He had 33 saves in Saturday’s 4-3 overtime win over the Moncton Aigles Bleus.
Heading into the holiday break, Flodell boasts a conference-leading save percentage of .911.
- CW: Brad van Schubert, hockey, RMC
- OUA: Ja’Qualyn Gilbreath, basketball, Trinity Western
- RSEQ: Ethan Ellison, volleyball, Laval
- AUS: Logan Flodell, hockey, Acadia (Winner)
Female Athlete of the Week: Tyra Meropoulis, StFX
A second-year business student from Edson, Alta., Meropoulis scored five goals and added an assist in two weekend wins for the X-Women.
In Friday’s 3-0 shutout over Moncton, she scored two goals and was named Subway Player of the Game.
She followed up with a hat-trick and an assist in Sunday’s 5-2 win over the U SPORTS No. 5-ranked UPEI Panthers. She was named Subway Player of the Game once again for her efforts.
Heading into the holiday break, Meropoulis leads the nation is goals scored with 17, and sits tied for first in points with 21.
- CW: Summer Masikewich, basketball, Saskatchewan
- OUA: Cristine Chao, hockey, Toronto
- RSEQ: Maude Babin, volleyball, Montreal
- AUS: Tyra Meropoulis, hockey, StFX (Winner)
- Player bios courtesy U SPORTS member conferences