Throughout the 2017-18 season, U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
Name: Alysha Corrigan
Year of eligibility: Fourth
Hometown: Charlottetown, P.E.I.
1. What attracted you to UPEI?
What attracted me to UPEI was the type of team UPEI was. My sister plays on the team and I heard everything good she had to say about the girls, coaches, and environment. It is also close to home so that was another factor that I took into account. When I made my decision to come to UPEI it just felt right.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
I can’t pick one favourite memory, too many come to mind. Everybody, past and present teammates, coaches and trainers have made my experience as a U SPORTS student-athlete so amazing. I have made memories with people that I will never forget. My greatest athletic achievement is winning athlete of the year in my second year at UPEI and getting named to the U SPORTS All-Canadian team.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
I am hoping to continue my rugby career in Victoria to keep playing at a high level.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
The greatest influence on my athletic career would have to be my sister, Sidney. She has been there since day one by my side always pushing me to get better. She has taught me more than she will ever know but I am glad of the impact she has had on my athletic career to this day.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
Somebody I would like to have dinner with in the sports world would have to be Heather Moyse. I would pick her because she is somebody I look up to. She believes that you can achieve anything as long as you work hard. She is one of my role models for sure, and she is just a crazy athlete.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
I have to eat Vector with chocolate milk for breakfast and before going on the field I have to tackle my sister.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Red Alert by Jazz Cartier.
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
If I could try another sport it would be gymnastics 100 per cent. I just think they are freak athletes (in the best way) and do the coolest stuff.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
Most embarrassing thing that has happened to me as an athlete is when I got pants in a game, spandex and all.