The Queen’s Gaels will not leave Quebec City empty-handed. The OUA champions dropped the Guelph Gryphons 36-20 on Sunday afternoon at Stade TELUS-Université Laval in the Bronze Medal Match at the 2023 U SPORTS Women’s Rugby Championship.
This is the fourth straight medal finish for Queen’s, who were champions in 2021 and finalists in 2019 and 2022. This was also the their matchup of the season between the two Ontario rivals, with Queen’s coming out on top each time.
The Gryphons got on the scoreboard first when Madelyn Ryan converted on a short penalty goal in the 10th minute. The Queen’s reply started halfway through the first half, as consecutive tries by Carmen Izyk, Lizzie Gibson and Jaden Walker gave the Gaels a comfortable 19-3 lead at the break.
Queen’s continued their assault in the second half. Converted tries by Izyk and Walker, along with a penalty goal by Gibson, made the score 36-3 for the Tricolour. The Gryphons ended the game on a high note as Abby Auger, Maddy Hobson and Jillian Bernard-Jardine scored tries in the final 20 minutes, but it was too little, too late.
Nike Team players of the game
- QUE – #8 Abby Auger
- GUE – #6 Siobhan Sheerin
Queen’s 36 – Guelph 20
- GUE – Penalty goal Madelyn Ryan – 10th (3-0)
- QUE - Try Carmen Izyk – 21th (5-3)
- QUE - Try Lizzie Gibson – 37th (conversion Lizzie Gibson) (12-3)
- QUE - Try Jaden Walker – 40th (conversion Lizzie Gibson) (19-3)
- QUE - Try Carmen Izyk – 49th (conversion Lizzie Gibson #7) (26-3)
- QUE - Try Jaden Walker – 55th (conversion Lizzie Gibson #7) (33-3)
- QUE - Penalty goal Lizzie Gibson – 61st (36-3)
- GUE - Try Abby Auger – 63rd (36-8)
- GUE - Try Maddy Hobson – 71st (36-13)
- GUE - Try Jillian Bernard-Jardine – 80th (conversion Madelyn Ryan) (36-20)