The UBC Thunderbirds posted an unequivocal 75-0 victory over the UPEI Panthers Friday afternoon at Stade TELUS-Université Laval in the second consolation game the U SPORTS Women's Rugby Championship in Quebec City. The T-Birds will thus be able to extend their stay in Quebec, as they secure a third match on Sunday on the last day of competition.
The Canada West champions left no doubt about their intentions from the start of the match. First-team All-Canadian Rachel Smith scored two tries, sandwiching another from Mia Bullock, and after Savannah Bauder's three conversions, it was already 21-0 after just a quarter of an hour. Bauder – the country's MVP in 2023 – also scored a try, while Bullock scored two more. Jordan McLeod and Adia Pye also reached the end zone, making it 50-0 after a half.
The dominance of the Canada West champions continued in the second half, as Kiki Idowu, Lana Dueck, Bauder and Bullock each added a try. The score was completed by a successful penalty by Olivia Sarabura.
UBC will face the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday at 11 a.m. EST in the fifth-place game. The UPEI Panthers, winding down their third appearance at the U SPORTS Championship, are still looking for their first victory.
Nike Team players of the game
- UBC – #10 Savannah Bauder
- UPEI – #4 Carl Stewart
UBC 75 – UPEI 0
- UBC – Try Rachel Smith #8 – 2nd (converti Savannah Bauder #10) (7-0)
- UBC – Try Mia Bullock #14 – 6th (converti Savannah Bauder #10) (14-0)
- UBC – Try Rachel Smith #8 – 14th (conversion Savannah Bauder #10) (21-0)
- UBC – Try Savannah Bauder #10 – 17th (conversion Savannah Bauder #10) (28-0)
- UBC – Try Mia Bullock #14 – 22th (33-0)
- UBC – Try Jordan McLeod #2 – 27th (38-0)
- UBC – Try Mia Bullock #14 – 33th (conversion Savannah Bauder #10) (45-0)
- UBC – Try Adia Pye #11 – 35th (50-0)
- UBC – Try Kiki Idowu #7 – 44th (55-0)
- UBC – Try Savannah Bauder #10 – 48th (60-0)
- UBC – Try Lana Dueck #12 – 55th (65-0)
- UBC – Penalty Goal Olivia Sarabura – 59th (68-0)
- UBC – Try Mia Bullock – 69th (conversion Olivia Sarabura) (75-0)