The combination of Rachel Smith and Savannah Bauder led the UBC Thunderbirds to a 39-21 win over the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday afternoon at Stade TELUS-Université Laval to take fifth place in the 2023 U SPORTS Women’s Rugby Championship. For the T-Birds, their Great Trek to Quebec City concludes with their third straight fifth-place finish at the U SPORTS championship. This also marks the first time since 2014 that the Gee-Gees did not make the final medal podium.
The game semeed to be headed to a festival of offence in the opening minutes. After just 12 minutes, it was already 14-10 in favour of the Gee-Gees following tries by Alysia Comtoi and Quynh-Ni Au for Ottawa and a try by Sara Kaljuvee and a penalty by Bauder of UBC. After the game settled down, Sadie Gluvic put the T-Birds ahead for good as she smashed the ball down in the the goal area in the 29th minute. Bauder – the 2023 U SPORTS player of the year – added another try and UBC took a 22-14 halftime lead.
Two quick tries by Rachel Smith, who won player-of-the-game honours for UBC, sealed the deal, while Ella Blyth of Ottawa and Bauder added late tries to round out the scoring. Jamie Lee Walker won player of the game honours for Ottawa, after completing all three of her conversion attempts.
Nike Team Players of the Game
UBC – #6 Rachel Smith
Ottawa – #10 Jamie Lee Walker
UBC 39 – Ottawa 21
- UBC – Penalty goal Savannah Bauder – 3rd minute (3-0)
- OTT – Try Alysia Comtois – 6th minute (conversion Jamie Lee Walker #10) (7-3)
- UBC - Try Sara Kaljuvee – 8th minute (conversion Savannah Bauder #10) (10-7)
- OTT - Try Quynh-Ni Au – 12th minute (conversion Jamie Lee Walker #10) (14-10)
- UBC - Try Sadie Gluvic #7 - 29th minute (15-14)
- UBC - Try Savannah Bauder #10 - 35th minute (conversion Savannah Bauder #10) (22-14)
- UBC - Try Rachel Smith #6 - 46th minute (27-14)
- UBC - Try Rachel Smith #6 - 50th minute (conversion Savannah Bauder) (34-14)
- OTT - Try Ella Blyth #23 - 55th minute (conversion Jamie Lee Walker #10) (34-21)
- UBC - Try Savannah Bauder #10 – 70th minute (39-21)