Brad van Schubert of the RMC Paladins and Seina Kashima from the Trinity Western Spartans are the U SPORTS Male and Female Athletes of the Week for the period ending October 7, 2018.
Settling in for his first ever start between the pipes for the RMC Paladins, van Schubert made 36 saves, including all 21 shots he faced in a third period flurry, to help preserve a 2-1 win for RMC over Concordia in the regular season opener. Not only was the performance critical to the team’s ultimate victory, but the team that van Schubert shut the door on just so happens to be the reigning OUA bronze medalists and top-ranked squad nationally. van Schubert’s tremendous effort gives the Paladins their first win over the Stingers since 2012.
Kashima, a fifth-year forward had four points over the weekend, as the No. 3 Trinity Western Spartans swept the University of the Fraser Valley Cascades. The Burnaby, B.C., native scored once and had one assist in the Spartans 3-1 home win over the UFV Cascades in Langley, B.C. on Friday evening. Then on Sunday afternoon in Abbotsford, B.C., Kashima added another assist and scored the game-winning goal in TWU’s 3-2 win. With her weekend performance, Kashima now sits third in the U SPORTS leader board in points (16), and first in assists (9).
- CW: Kristian Yli-Hietanen, soccer, UBC
- OUA: Brad van Schubert, hockey, RMC, (winner)
- RSEQ: Jeremy- Nathaniel Tothaud-Mouandza, soccer, UQTR
- AUS: Marc-Anthony Therrien, hockey, Moncton
- CW: Seina Kashima, soccer, Trinity Western, (winner)
- OUA: Jenny Wolever, soccer, Queen’s
- RSEQ: Émilie Matte De Grasse, volleyball, McGill
- AUS: Tori Hogan, rugby, Acadia