Easton Ongaro of the Alberta Golden Bears and Meggie Dargis from the McGill Martlets are the U SPORTS Male and Female Athletes of the Week for the period ending Sept. 30, 2018
Ongaro, a sophomore striker, has jumped to second in the national points race after torching the Lethbridge Pronghorns and Saskatchewan Huskies this past weekend in Edmonton. Ongaro recorded six points in two Golden Bears wins, highlighted by a three-goal, four-point explosion against Saskatchewan on Sunday. Ongaro paced the Alberta attack on Saturday, netting a pair of goals to lift the Golden Bears to a 3-0 win over the Lethbridge Pronghorns. He followed that up with his first hat trick of the season in the second half against the Huskies, while also assisting on Ajeej Sarkaria’s game-winner.
Dargis, a distance runner with the Martlets cross country team, led McGill to a first-place finish of five teams at the Sherbrooke Open on Saturday. The management senior finished atop the podium in the 57-runner field. She completed the six-kilometre race in 22 minutes and 44 seconds, two seconds ahead of her nearest competitor.
- CW: Easton Ongaro, soccer, Alberta (winner)
- OUA: Nathan Zak, soccer, Nipissing
- RSEQ: Frédéric Lajoie-Gravelle, soccer Montreal
- AUS: Dan Walker, soccer, UNB
- CW: Brittney Zacharuk, soccer, Fraser Valley
- OUA: Katherine Koehler-Grassau, soccer, UOIT
- RSEQ: Meggie Dargis, cross country, McGill (winner)
- AUS: Maddie MacKenzie, rugby, Acadia