U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Kristian Shuttleworth
- School: Laurentian University
- Sport: Men’s soccer
- Position: Striker/Winger
- Year of eligibility: 3
- Program: Sports Physical Education
- Hometown: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
1. What attracted you to Laurentian?
I was attracted to the school because it was close to home but not to close. I also have been coming to Sudbury for many years now for soccer in the summer and it is like a second home for me.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My favourite moment as a U SPORTS student-athlete would have to be my first OUA goal in my first year on the team. I have been saving my greatest athletic achievement – I believe it hasn’t happened just yet, but I am excited to work hard and have that moment.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
I hope to be doing something in the field of health, if that is being an athletic therapist or a personal trainer I would be happy doing it. With that being said, I’d also love to continue playing soccer after university.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My mom has had the biggest impact on my athletic career – through thick and thin she was there paying the money getting me to wear I am today. I am thankful for all she has done for me. My grandparents as well are a huge help in my career as an athlete. Love them all.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
Kylian Mbappé is a young French star in the soccer world right now – he is the same age as me and to sit down and pick his brain and see how he got to where he is right now would be a blessing. I think to be in the midst of a great player in such an early stage in his career, it might shine some light on things I can do to be better.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
My pre-game ritual is listening to my favourite music before the game, and tuning into game mode.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Drip or Drown remix by Gunna featuring Lil Yachty
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
Basketball would be another sport I have played in elementary school and high school. I play it in my free time and would love to try it at a high level.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
When I was in elementary school, we were in baseball season and I was playing. It was the day we were leaving for Grade 8 graduation trip to Canada’s wonderland. I was so excited to go on this trip, I tried to throw the game so we could lose and go home so I could get ready.