Men’s Track & Field
U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Kayden Johnson
- School: York University
- Sport: Football and Track and Field
- Position: Running back, hurdles, sprints
- Year of eligibility: 4
- Program: Theatre
- Hometown: Kerrobert, Sask.
1. What attracted you to York?
What attracted me to York were the athletes and coaches that I knew going to the university as well as the programs and history of the past athletes and sports teams.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My favorite and greatest achievement so far as a U SPORTS athlete was winning the 60m hurdles at the 2018 U SPORTS Championships.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
After university I would like to pursue a professional athletic career. To play in the CFL, to become an Olympic hurdler and to be in the Winter Olympics for bobsleigh. Aside from sports I would like to pursue an acting career in TV and film.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My greatest influence in sports is Usain Bolt because he inspired me as being the fastest man in the world and he showed that you can have fun while doing it.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
I would love to have dinner with Floyd Mayweather because he is one of the greatest boxers and athletes of all time but it would also be cool to talk about business with him.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
My pre-game ritual starts the night before an event where I make sure to have a good filling meal and a long night’s sleep. Confidence is a big part of performing at your best, so as long as I know what I need to execute I can be confident that I can do my job to the best of my abilities. I also remind myself to have fun.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Lil Snupe by Meek Mill.
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
I like to follow successful athlete accounts because that’s the level I want to be at.
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
I would love to be a wingsuit flyer for Red Bull.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
Forgetting equipment or shoes to a game and having to borrow someone else’s.