- Name: Beth Vinnell
- School: University of Calgary
- Sport (years): Women’s volleyball, 4 years, going into 5th
- Program: Kinesiology and Education
- Hometown: Cochrane, Alberta
1. What are your thoughts on representing Team Canada at a major international event, and most specifically at the 2019 FISU Summer Universiade?
I’m extremely excited to be representing Canada in this event. It’s a huge honour being selected to represent our country at the next level, and to be able to experience what playing is like at the next level. It’s also a really cool opportunity to actually get to know the girls I’m used to seeing across the net and form relationships with them.
2. Is this the first time you have been selected to represent Canada on the international stage or at the Universiade? Current track record (national and/or international)?
Yes, this is my first time representing Canada.
3. What are you most looking forward to in Naples, Italy outside of the competition?
I am looking forward to everything! Mainly the food and getting to experience Europe for the first time, but also the opportunity to hopefully watch other sports and meet new people through sport.
4. What are your personal and/or team goals for this Universiade?
I think my personal goals align with our team goals. We are trying to show up to every game and play our hardest with heart and grit and do the best that we possibly can. We want to be able to compete at the international level.
5. Do you have a nickname in your sport?
Not really. On my team in Calgary my nickname is mainly just my full name – Beth Vinnell (maybe defeating the purpose??).
6. What are you listening to right now / what is your pump-up music?
I can’t narrow it down but for me pretty much anything hip-hop/rap. Anything with a good beat and bass gets me pretty hype.
7. Current favorite TV show?
Lee Daniels’ Star on Netflix
8. What message would you like to share with Team Canada followers / the U SPORTS community?
Thank you for following and supporting our country and us athletes! We wouldn’t be able to do what we do without fans like ours. Go Canada!!