Any U SPORTS student-athlete who receives an Athletic Financial Award (which requires being listed on the Eligibility Certificate) during the 2020-2021 academic year is subject to a transfer restriction (sit-out) until the conclusion of the regular season of the sport in question’s 2021-2022 athletic season, regardless of whether or not they exceed the traditional Participation Threshold (U SPORTS Policy 184.108.40.206.3).
Any U SPORTS student-athlete who does not receive an AFA (is listed on the Eligibility Certificate), but who exceeds the traditional Participation Threshold (U SPORTS Policy 220.127.116.11.3) during the 2020-2021 academic year is subject to a transfer restriction (sit-out) until the conclusion of the regular season of the sport in question’s 2021-2022 athletic season.
There will be no exceptions other than those pre-existing in the regulation, though the traditional Compassionate Appeals process will be available should an institution wish to submit one on behalf of an incoming or departing student-athlete.
- Student-Athlete A accepts an AFA for the 2020-2021 academic year. Regardless of their participation, they’re required to sit out the entirety of the 2021-2022 season should they chose to transfer.
- Student-Athlete B does not accept an AFA for the 2020-2021 academic year, and is free to transfer for the 2021-2022 season. They are eligible immediately, unless they’ve consumed eligibility by exceeding the Participation Threshold (which would result in a 365 sit-out).
- Student-Athlete C accepts an AFA, but graduates. Student-Athlete C then goes on to a Master’s program at another institution. This student-athlete is eligible immediately, because they’re accessing the Master’s exemption.
Non-Post-Secondary Participation Information
- Student-Athletes listed on a 2019-2020 Official Eligibility Certificate; or,
- Confirmed Recruits with an Officially Registered Letter of Intent (LOI) on U SPORTS Central for 2020-21.
- A student-athlete who was listed on an Eligibility Certificate in 2019-2020 and is returning back to that same institution for the Winter 2021 semester; or,
- A Confirmed Recruit who has signed an official U SPORTS Letter of Intent (LOI) or accepted an offer of admission for the 2020-2021 academic year and is entering into that U SPORTS institution for the Winter 2021 semester.