U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Abby Wroe
- School: Nipissing University
- Sport: Women’s Soccer
- Position: Defence
- Year of eligibility: Second
- Program: Nursing
- Hometown: Collingwood, Ontario
1. What attracted you to Nipissing University
Nipissing has a beautiful campus, but what attracted me the most was the extremely welcoming and supportive environment both athletically and academically.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My favourite memory was getting my first OUA goal on my birthday. My greatest athletic achievement was being awarded with Nipissing women’s soccer 2017-18 Rookie of the Year and that is something I will always be super proud of.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
I am hoping to finish my BScN and take my NCLEX to become a Registered Nurse.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My dad. Ever since I was a little kid, he has always been my biggest fan and gave me never-ending support. Throughout high school, I played soccer 1.5-2 hours out of town, and he was always more than happy to drive me to each practice and game. I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am today without him.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
It would be amazing to have dinner with Christine Sinclair and learn more about her, as she is a huge role model to myself and many other athletes.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
Before the referee blows his whistle to begin the game, I always do a few tuck jumps if I’m on the field. I started doing this a long time ago, and for some reason, it helps me prepare and focus on the game.
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
Black Betty – Ram Jam
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
The Dodo is by far my favourite account to follow (not sports related), and my favourite sports related account is watching Soccer vines on Twitter.
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
I played a lot of basketball before I dedicated most of my free time to soccer. So, I would definitely try to go further in that sport because I’ve always loved playing it.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
Getting an accidental handball in my team’s box leading to a penalty kick has got to be the most embarrassing and disappointing thing that has happened during a game.