U SPORTS sits down with each of its summer interns in our new interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Siera Lombardo
- School: Laurentian University
- Program: Sports Administration
- Internship position: Marketing, Brand & Sponsorship
- Hometown: Bolton, Ont.
1. What attracted you to Laurentian and your program?
I grew up playing and watching sports all of my life, so to go into a program where I not only get a business degree but am also able to learn about the world of sports was a no-brainer for me.
2. Why were you interested in interning at U SPORTS?
I was interested in interning at U SPORTS because I thought it would be a cool opportunity to get a taste of what it would be like actually working in the world of sports. U SPORTS also gave me the opportunity to work with multiple different sports, which I think is great at giving interns lots of experience.
3. What are your key learnings from your experience at U SPORTS?
My role was working with the marketing and communications team, along with the sponsorship team. Since I worked in two different areas, it was great seeing how things flowed, worked together, and how projects were followed through from one department to another. Some key learnings from this were understanding how key communication is working in a team environment, also having real world experience on how the industry works, how to create promotional plans, and the work that goes into sponsorship deals are all things that I will be able to take with me in future opportunities.
4. Any memorable moments over the course of your internship?
There are a few memorable moments over the course of the internship. One of them being participating in motionball, a great event to raise money and awareness for the Special Olympics Canada Foundation, with the rest of the U SPORTS staff.
5. What is one piece of advice you can give to someone interested in joining U SPORTS?
One piece of advice that I would give to someone interested in joining U SPORTS would be to jump at the opportunity to be a part of such a great team. Ask questions if you are unsure about anything, everyone at U SPORTS is very welcoming!
6. Why did you choose to pursue a career in sports and what is your dream job?
I chose to pursue a career in sports because, honestly, I couldn’t see myself doing anything else. I think it is such a fun and continually evolving industry. My dream job would be working for a sport marketing agency.
7. If you could sit down with one person in the sports industry (athlete, coach, manager or professional), who would it be? Why? What would you talk about?
If I could sit down with one person in the sports industry it would be Adrienne Lofton, the former Senior VP of Global Brand Management for Under Armour. I would love to talk about steps she took to help her get to her role. I would also love to know the creative process on how she comes up with different campaigns, such as the Michael Phelps “Rule Yourself” campaign.
8. After joining U SPORTS and gaining a better understanding of what we do, how would you describe the organization and the culture at the national office?
After being with U SPORTS for four short months, I would say that the organizational culture is amazing. It is a fun environment to be in because everyone is so nice and it makes it an enjoyable place to work every day. It is a great place to work!
9. What do you enjoy doing when you’re away from your internship and school?
On my downtime away from internship and school, I like to keep active. I play in a women’s hockey league, go for walks with my dog, or hang out with my family and friends.
10. What is your most memorable sports moment?
I would say that my most memorable sports moment would have to be Sidney Crosby’s gold medal goal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. I remember it like it was yesterday; I was on the ice practicing with my team, and I was standing near the glass during one of our drills so I could watch the TV. A few of us were standing there when he scored the goal and all of the girls on the ice and the parents went crazy!