RICHMOND HILL, Ont. (U SPORTS) — The Calgary Dinos, who won their first Canada West championship since 1996 last week, are the top seed going into this week’s Cavendish Farms University Cup. U SPORTS announced the seeding on Sunday for the 2023 national men’s hockey championship, which runs from Thursday to Sunday at the Eastlink Centre in Charlottetown. The Dinos ended the regular season on a 23-game winning streak, setting a new CW record on their way to their first berth in the University Cup since 2015.
The complete field, in seeding order, is as follows:
- Calgary Dinos (CW champions: 25-3 regular season, 4-2 playoffs)
- UQTR Patriotes (OUA champions: 21-5, 5-1)
- UNB REDS (AUS champions: 24-6, 5-2)
- Windsor Lancers (OUA finalists: 18-9, 4-2)
- Alberta Golden Bears (CW finalists: 20-8, 3-3)
- Concordia Stingers (OUA bronze medallists: 19-7, 4-2)
- Saint Mary’s Huskies (AUS finalists: 20-10, 4-3)
- UPEI Panthers (hosts: 17-13, 1-2)
In men’s hockey, the three conference champions are seeded in the top three based on their final national ranking, while the OUA finalist is automatically placed in the No. 4 spot. The remaining teams are then placed to avoid intraconference matchups in the first round.
The quarterfinals will be played on Thursday and Friday, as follows (all times Atlantic):
- Thursday, Noon: No. 7 Saint Mary’s vs. No. 2 UQTR
- Thursday, 7 p.m.: No. 6 Concordia vs. No. 3 UNB
- Friday, Noon: No. 5 Alberta vs. No. 4 Windsor
- Friday, 7 p.m.: No. 8 UPEI vs. No. 1 Calgary
The semifinals will take place on Saturday at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. On Sunday, the bronze medal game is set for 1 p.m., with the championship game at 7 p.m.
Tickets for the event are currently on sale on the championship website.
All eight games from the eight-team competition will be webcast live on CBC Sports digital platforms (English) and USPORTS.ca (French), up to and including Sunday’s gold medal game. The full webcast schedule will be available throughout the tournament at usports.ca/en/broadcast.