Cancellation of fall term national championships for the protection of Student-Athlete health and safety; Eligibility regulations refined
On June 8, 2020, U SPORTS announced a series of decisions pertaining to sports scholarships (officially known as Athletic Financial Awards or AFAs) and eligibility for the 2020-2021 year including:
- Clarification on qualification for AFAs for returning students taking into consideration pass-fail grades assigned to students in the winter 2020 semester;
- Modifications to the Academic All-Canadian criteria to accommodate pass-fail grades;
- Permitted AFAs to be awarded in the event that 2020-2021 U SPORTS championships are cancelled;
- That there will be no consumption of eligibility in the event that the 2020-2021 U SPORTS championships are not offered;
- The maintaining of all current regulations for eligibility and AFAs for first time entry and transfer students from other jurisdictions;
- The maintaining of Academic Standing regulations for the 2019-2020 academic year
Any questions that student-athletes have pertaining to eligibility and AFAs should be addressed to their university athletic departments.
Additional eligibility and scholarship (AFA) information will be provided in the coming weeks.