U SPORTS sits down with one key athlete, coach, and staff member of each U SPORTS athletic program in our interview series “Getting to know…”
- Name: Jamie Harry
- School: University of Ottawa
- Sport: Football
- Position: Cornerback
- Year of eligibility: 4
- Program: Sociology
- Hometown: Lachine, Que.
1. What attracted you to uOttawa?
I came to uOttawa because I wanted to be a part of the tradition of this program, to play in Coach B (Jamie Barresi)'s offence, and it’s also a plus that the campus is so beautiful. It was an easy choice.
2. What’s your favourite memory, and your greatest athletic achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete?
My greatest memory and biggest achievement as a U SPORTS student-athlete has to be when I was named a First Team All-Canadian. There is no greater feeling than being one of the top athletes at my position in the country.
3. Where are you hoping your path will take you after university?
I hope I will become a professional football player. If not, I would like to be a fire fighter.
4. Who’s had the greatest influence on your athletic career?
My greatest influence in my athletic career would have to be my family. They have always supported me in whatever sport I played. I remember as a kid, they would always wake up super early to drive me where I needed to go. They are definitely my greatest influence. I want to keep making them proud.
5. Who is someone in the sports world, past or present, with whom you’d love to have dinner with? Why?
Definitely, Deion Sanders. He was so inspirational for me as a kid. The swagger he had on and off the field was contagious.
6. What is your pre-game ritual? Do you have any superstitions/idiosyncrasies around preparing yourself for a game?
My pre-game ritual is doing the super hero pose for at least five minutes. When I do that, I feel like a super hero during the game!
7. What’s your go-to song to get pumped up for practice or a game?
I don't have a go-to song to get pumped for a game, but I would listen to anything that has a good beat, and that will get me in the right mindset for the game.
8. What’s your favourite social media account to follow?
@geegees_Football because, they always post funny tweets about my teammates or me, and there's always cool pictures of us.
9. If you could try another sport, what would it be and why?
Basketball. I think I would be pretty good on defense and I like the offensive plays, ball movement, player movement etc.
10. What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you as an athlete?
The most embarrassing thing that's happened to me was when I missed a pick-six last year. My teammates and coaches did no